How do you go from girlfriend to bride in 0.5 seconds?
We know the pressures that you are about to face. From choosing who to remove from your guest list to having to tell your mom to butt out because this is your big day and not hers! It’s stressful. But it doesn’t have to be. This is an exciting time. You are planning forever with the one you love. To make things that much easier for you, we’ve put down our top 5 things to remember to get you from YES to I DO without turning into Bridezilla.
1. Remember to breathe! It sounds simple and necessary to survive, but a panic attack is just around the corner if you don’t. Everything will be ok. The best is yet to come. So breathe.
2. You don’t need to be a professional to plan a wedding. Don’t get me wrong, Wedding Planners are amazing (and I say that not just because I was one, but because I had one and it made life easier). But these days everything is at your fingertips – including our website Favoured Online – which means you can pin the wedding of your dreams and make it happen on your own. You’ve already figured out the WHY (because you love him - DUH), so now you just need to figure out the rest.
WHO - who do you want beside you and who do you want to share this day with?
WHEN – set the date
HOW – know your budget! You won’t be able to do much else without knowing this part first.
WHERE – when you have an idea of when and how, choose the where.
WHAT – this is where the fun begins. From décor and flowers, to dresses, favours and wedding cakes. It’s as easy that. It’s all in the details.
3. Don’t be fooled. This day is not just about the bride. My favourite moment of a wedding is the look on the groom's face as he sees his bride walking down the aisle. He is overjoyed, because this is his day too. And if mom and dad are tearing up in the front row as well, it’s because it’s also their day. Their family is expanding although they also realise that you’re starting your own family – away from them. So if they try to get a little too involved, it’s only because they want to spend as much time with you as possible before the big day. Change your perspective.
4. Have "THE TALK." Two are becoming one and this means that it’s not just you making decisions about your life anymore. ME has turned into WE quicker than you will expect, and without the necessary conversations, you are just a toothpaste cap away from an explosion. I would suggest pre-marital counselling for anyone about to say I DO. Not only does this prepare you, but it gives you a solid foundation for your marriage. Talk budgets, house rules, and dare I say it sex expectations. Lack of communication is the number one reason why marriages fail today. Getting on the same page before you say "I DO" will avoid any unnecessary blowouts! The best advice that I can give you right now is to watch The Indestructible Marriage course on YouTube by Jimmy Evans. Set yourself up for success.
5. And then lastly, capture the moment. Your big day may seem like it is ages away, but it sneaks up on you without you knowing. And in the blink of an eye, it’s gone. My husband and I were told to “take a moment” on our wedding day to soak it all in. We were a little confused by this but decided to do it anyway and honestly, it’s my favourite moment of the day. I will not forget that image. We stepped away from the crowd and sat in a corner as we watched our friends and family laugh and dance and enjoy the very thing that we had taken months to plan. It was all worth it. Pictures are great, but memories last a lifetime.
We hope that your heart is at ease and your mind focused on the journey ahead as you prepare for not only a wedding, but a marriage. We are excited for you and will be cheering you on from the sidelines. If you would like to find out more about who we are, what we’re about and how we can help make your day that much better, visit our website at www.favoured.co. We can’t wait to hear from you!